Re: Interesting papers

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2004 09:49:46 GMT

On 18 Jun 2004 14:14:05 -0700, mikharakiri_nospaum_at_yahoo.com (Mikito Harakiri) wrote:

> I totally agree: you can simplify the product if you throw
>away parasitic features (together with the code that supports them).

But they want to throw fundamental features like complex types, the relational algebra/calculus and declarative integrity constraints.

They also want to work with an API and hand made operator trees which is a clear regression in ease of use.

>If that kind code cleaning is not done, than the product becomes
>bloatware.

But crippledware is not a good solution.

> And code refactoring can't be achieved without streamlining
>the interface language -- SQL. Removing redundancies, inconsitencies
>(eg. "not in" vs. "not exist"), and plain nonsence (eg. ANSII SQL
>standard join syntax).

A D language looks like an evident solution.

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Sat Jun 19 2004 - 11:49:46 CEST

Original text of this message