Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Paul <paul_at_test.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 22:42:04 +0100

Todd B wrote:

>>>or an assumption to use to base a further analysis.  Newton's
>>>3 laws of motion are generally referred to as axioms that are used as
>>>assumptions (or postulates) for further theoretical analysis.

> Referring to this earlier post, I'd say: Newton's laws are not
> postulates (axioms). They are theorems in physics based upon his
> original hypotheses. These physical theorems, as far as I know, are
> different than mathematical theorems, where the former are
> elucidations about the physical world we perceive, the latter are
> conclusions derived from the original axioms with certain rules
> applied to those axioms. Newton's laws, in other words, make bad
> examples in this discussion about axioms.

I think we have to distinguish between Newton's laws as a practical way to discuss reality, and Newton's theory as a mathematical model.

The mathematical model may be inspired by reality but it exists on its own as well. In this sense the postulates are axioms.

Reality is the semantics, mathematical models are the syntax. Mathematical models always need a human to map them to reality.

Also I think there is a difference between theorems and theories: Theorems are purely mathematical, they can be proved. If they haven't yet been proved thay are just a conjecture. Theories are the maps between models and reality, they can only be disproved (not proved).

Paul. Received on Fri Jun 18 2004 - 23:42:04 CEST

Original text of this message