Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:14:47 -0400

"Anthony W. Youngman" <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:3pkqxQDJOy0AFw$q_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk...

> Actually, as a Pickie, I'm very much inclined to agree. Rules should sit
> BETWEEN the application and the data store. So no, I don't quite agree
> with the relational approach, but I think the Pick approach is lacking
> here.

As a relational (as in SQL), I'm glad to see some agreement. But I'd offer yet another opinion.

Rules should sit both ABOVE and BEYOND the application and the data store. Both the CREATE script for the data store, and the code generation phase of the application should be able to include rules, when necessary, from some common rule repository. This rule repository would do for rules what a data dictionary does for data definitions.

Or not? Received on Fri Jun 18 2004 - 14:14:47 CDT