Re: BOOLEAN RELATIONSHIPS: HARD QUESTION

From: x <x-false_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:01:40 +0300

  • Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.usenet.com ****

"Jacopo" <jacopols_at_libero.it> wrote in message news:QR1Ac.702$c_1.21415_at_twister1.libero.it...
> I thank you very much for your help, but from all the answers I got back I
> think I gave the impression of not having understood the problem I am
> dealing with. For sure it is this way, in some part, otherwise I wouldn't
be
> here in the newsgroup.
> What I want to clarify is that the choice that the designer makes when
> choose a part rather than another one is a condensed core of experience,
> evaluations of a great variety of aspects, and finally a lot of variables
> that make a component different from each other.
> Trying to replicate in a program this reasoning, made of comparisons
between
> dimensions, loads, etc, is, believe me, IMPOSSIBLE. Not even the greatest
> software houses dedicated to mechanical design are able to do that at the
> moment. They are trying and step by step I am sure this will be possible
one
> day.
> At the moment I don't want a program that replicates designers reasoning
> directions, but just a program that stores a thought like this:
> "i have verified that the part n°5 of the A family can be mounted with any
> part of the family B except n°6".
> I don't care why, but from now on when he uses the part n°5 he will know
he
> can use it that way without rechecking it.
> That is why I would like a flexible way of letting him saving thoughts
like
> the previous one in terms of relationships between single parts or family
of
> parts, and with a combination of them, in total freedom.
> OK, now you tell me it is impossible. Gosh.
> Yours faithfully,
> jacopo

It is not impossible. Maybe you are looking in the wrong place for a solution.
From what you said, your problem sounds like a CLP problem, not a database problem.
CLP - constraint logic programming

  • Usenet.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! *** http://www.usenet.com Unlimited Download - 19 Seperate Servers - 90,000 groups - Uncensored -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=