Re: WHAT vs HOW vs WHERE

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 17:24:32 -0400

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:c9amjp$9fc$1_at_news.netins.net...
> I probably use an unacceptable def of "pointer" since I used it for any
> value that is in the domain of a function -- it points to something in the
> range of the function. In Java they use the term "reference" because they
> think "pointer" has a connotation of a variable that can be modified. So,
> couple of questions --

> If you have a definition, even just from your head, of what you mean by
> "pointer" that would help.

You've been using the word "pointer" in this forum for a few months. All this time, I *thought* you and I and most others meant the same thing by it.

Maybe not.

Off the top of my head, a pointer is an address, represented as a data value. Received on Sat May 29 2004 - 23:24:32 CEST

Original text of this message