Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 16:58:05 GMT

On Fri, 28 May 2004 12:50:36 -0500, "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote:

>> is an object graph - what Java specifically lacks is some declarative way
>of
>> relating objects.
>
>xml is the best bet for that, perhaps?

No, XML are only guidelines for physical formats.

The best way of relating objects are relations.

>> I like Tutorial D, although it's a bit wordy.
>
>It makes a good tutorial for relational thinking, but it definitely doesn't
>roll off my fingertips -- it's just too, too, what's the word?

Good :-)

>I'm interested in similar goals, but I think the declarative language for
>the DBMS being so disjoint from application logic has been significant cost
>to our industry

Then lets improve the application programming languages.

>, and my take is to move things out of the DBMS

The worst thing we can do.

>accessible to the whole system, while others are working to build more into
>the DBMS (especially those who make money selling proprietary DBMS's).

The others are trying to progress and you are trying to regress.

>Maybe if we had a common xml schema for specifying data constraints, along
>with common services for applying such, ...

We already have something a lot better.

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Sat May 29 2004 - 18:58:05 CEST

Original text of this message