Re: data & code

From: mAsterdam <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org>
Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 12:07:26 +0200

Leandro Guimaraens Faria Corsetti Dutra wrote:

> mAsterdam escreveu:

>>Which operators: domain implied/system defined operators only or
>>including all special purpose/user defined operators?

> All operators defined, definable or implicit, as long as they
> are valid. AFAIU.

Benefit: It is clear. No ambiguities.
Two drawbacks:

  1. We'll have to make a distinctions when using the word domain in the mathematical sense (rational number) or in the IT sense (float).

The consequence would be: A 'floating point number' would not be a (complete) type anymore.

2. People use the word 'class' for that. So it demarcates between people who stick to that, and the people using type for it, and avoid the word 'class'.

I don't like it. But some may even consider drawback 2 a benefit.

>>Extensions (yuck!)?
> What do you mean?

Just that I don't like extensions.
When used to early to much,
I think they are a sign something
earlier on must be wrong.

>>Where is 'class' in this terminology?

> Nowhere, why should it be? Class is just an OO missynonym for
> type AFAIK.

Could you elaborate on that without dismissing OO - or do you think dismissing OO would be a wise thing to do? Received on Sat May 29 2004 - 12:07:26 CEST

Original text of this message