Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Anthony W. Youngman <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 19:07:01 +0100

In message <gfjtc.7896$wI4.912834_at_wards.force9.net>, Paul <paul_at_test.com> writes
>> So by definition the theory is unscientific because you cannot show
>>that the dbms proof is true (or false) in real life.
>
>Given that your axioms and your interpretation are correct, then I
>think you can show the DBMS proof is true in real life (for the reasons
>given above and in previous posts).

What do you mean by interpretation? Do you mean the philosophy of data by which you convert your mathematical description to a real-world description?

>I know that the language used by logicians can seem very inpenetrable
>but I think it does actually make sense; it's not just a conspiracy of
>people talking gibberish and pretending to understand each other.

But logic is a branch of mathematics. As such, it has nothing to do with philosophy and the matching up of theory with reality. This is a matter of science and experiment, not logic.

>I don't know how much you've read about logic but it is very
>mathematical and well worth the steep learning curve. Wikipedia is a
>good place to start. Be warned though: logicians to have a tendency to
>go insane in later life; it is a serious brainfuck if you think about
>it too much!

I can imagine :-)

Cheers,
Wol