Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: 27 May 2004 04:15:28 -0700

"x" <x-false_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<40b49336$1_at_post.usenet.com>...

> I think Alfredo calls data the data that is not code (data given as imput to
> the code or produced by the code).

No, data produced by processing code is data, but it does not mean that code is data.

> In this case I'm curious how he define code (he cannot call it data).

We don't need to do that because dictionaries already exist.

code
<software> Instructions for a computer in some programming language, often machine language. The word "code" is often used to distinguish instructions from data (e.g. "The code is marked 'read-only'") whereas "software" is used in contrast with "hardware" and may consist of more than just code.

http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldoc.cgi?query=code

In computer programming, the word code refers to instructions to a computer in a programming language. In this usage, the noun "code" typically stands for source code, and the verb "to code" means to write source code, to program. This usage may have originated when the first symbolic languages were developed and were punched onto cards as "codes".

Engineers often use the word "code" to mean a single program. They might say "I wrote a code" or "I have two codes". No software engineer or computer scientist would say that. They would say "I wrote some code" or "I have two programs". Since English allows virtually any word to be used as a verb, a programmer, or coder might also say I coded a program; but, since a code can stand for multiple concepts, that coder might say I hard-coded it right into the program, as opposed to the metaprogramming model, which might allow multiple re-uses of the same piece of code to accomplish multiple goals. Thus, the coder might instead soft-code a concept, which ensures that it will have a longer lifespan than a hard-coded concept.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Thu May 27 2004 - 13:15:28 CEST

Original text of this message