Re: database systems and organizational intelligence

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 10:11:23 GMT

On Wed, 26 May 2004 10:11:10 -0400, "Laconic2" <laconic2_at_comcast.net> wrote:

>All of the best descritpions of the parsing of code that I have seen break
>code down into a tree structure.

Most parsers build an intermediate representation in the form of a tree and many times it is translated to a machine or virtual machine code which is code again.

> All of the best descriptions I have seen
>of the structure of data break data down (or assemble it) into a
>relational structure.

You can represent a tree with a relation. There is no problem.

>In order to work meaningfully with data from a relational perspective, it's
>first necessary to put it into "normal form" (generally called "1NF").

And it is very convenient to put the intermediate representation of code into a "normal form". But of course it is a different kind of normal form.

>No one has, AFAIK, done a good job of reducing code to a "normal form".

I disagree. Optimizer compilers are here since a while. If you translate the optimized syntax trees into code you will have normalized code.

> The
>closest thing, afaik, is the metadata that describes triggers and
>constraints.

And it can be translated to code.

BTW you can translate it to different languages.

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Thu May 27 2004 - 12:11:23 CEST

Original text of this message