Re: Nearest Common Ancestor Report (XDb1's $1000 Challenge)

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 May 2004 17:18:36 -0700

> But what if I had bought XDb1 and actually *needed* this report
> - including the need to distinguish john the dog from john the person?
> The only way to accomplish this would be to contact you
> and ask if you could please make a patch to enable this for me.

The above is not entirely correct. The limitations of XDb1's NLI do not prevent a user from completing the tasks via GUI. And the user can generate the same or modified report by making calls to the API via a programming language such as C. The code to generate the report is not embedded in XDb1's engine. The code and calls to the API to generate the report are shown at the website.

> So I immediately knew that you didn't mean "as generic as XDb1", since if
> you had you'd surely have provided full details on how generic XDb1 is.

Actually I did mean "as generic as XDb1" in my mind and it is true that I didn't spell out all the details, since normalizing down to atomic symbols has no meaning to most, and I was expecting an iterative process to get an RM implemenation similar enough in genericness and normalization to make a fair comparison. Apologies for the confusion. Received on Thu May 27 2004 - 02:18:36 CEST

Original text of this message