Re: Total Information Quality and Data Quality?

From: Jan Moeller <jan.moeller_at_everymail.net>
Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 15:08:41 +0200

Alfredo Novoa wrote:

>>Can Information Quality and Data Quality be considered synonyms, because >>quality information always relies on quality data?

> The quality of data is necessary for information quality but not
> sufficient.
> IMHO data quality is about concordance with reality (accuracy), and
> information quality is about the utility, relevance, completeness,
> manageability, understandability etc of the data.

Thank you for your answer. I thought about exactly this definition a few days ago... this means that in some way all these papers, books and websites which define multiple dimensions of "data quality" are not really precise? That is, all other dimentions except accuracy should be mentioned with information quality and not with data quality?

One can find dimensions like completeness, timeliness etc. in conjunction with data quality definitions very often. I'm a little bit confused now whether your (and my) thoughts about this difference are correct or totally wrong because so many sources mention all these quality dimensions when talking about "data" quality.

Jan Received on Mon May 24 2004 - 15:08:41 CEST

Original text of this message