Re: Date is Incomplete - database application software and database theory

From: John Jacob <jingleheimerschmitt_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 23 May 2004 14:50:42 -0700

> > On the contrary, it provides an excellent basis for this management,
> > as evidenced by your own solution to this perceived problem.
>
> The excellence of basis is as a result of running the applications
> (which is not addressed by the Relational Model, Date, et al)
> as stored procedures within the RDBMS environment.

You continue to claim that Date has not addressed this problem. On the contrary he addresses it very well in What Not How.

> This excellence is due to the fact that all application code
> external to the RDBMS involves redundancies of redefinition
> of the database schema (already defined by the model).
>
> My solution addresses the interface to the applications
> environment of which the model says nothing.

I agree that you have recognized a problem with current application development, but you have not correctly identified the cause of the problem. The relational model cannot possibly have anything to say about the *implementation* of applications based on it. You are blaming the relational model for the inadequacies of current DBMSs.

> I believe that we need a relational model and theory of
> organizational intelligence, and I have summarised the
> reasons why (process is more than just data!) in the above
> article.

We already have it. It's called the relational model. So I'll ask you once again, have you read What Not How? Received on Sun May 23 2004 - 23:50:42 CEST

Original text of this message