Re: In an RDBMS, what does "Data" mean?

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Sat, 22 May 2004 03:35:57 GMT

"Anthony W. Youngman" <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk> wrote in message news:sFcs6eBT2+qAFwPo_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk...

> If we can't set up an experiment (even a Gedanken thought experiment),
> then relational theory is not provable, therefor it is not scientific,

Correct, relational theory is not scientific.

> therefor it is irrelevant to the real world, therefor why the hell are
> we using it :-)

Because it is *mathematical.*

I can imagine giving you a four function calculator, and you saying, how can I devise a real-world, scientific experiment to verify the validity of this thing, and then throwing it out because you couldn't.

Four function calculators are not scientific, but they are still useful, mathematically.

> As a scientist/engineer type, not a mathematician, I want some
> experimental proof at least.

I am a computer scientist, which is a kind of mathematician. I have no illusion that what I do relates to the physical world.

> Unfortunately, all the (anecdotal) evidence
> I have says that other models work better ...

I have this gedanken experiment that says, what if I have two apples and I try to take away three. In the real world, I get an error, because once I have taken away two, I no longer have any apples that I can take away. Therefor, only positive integers are scientific. I have no use for negative numbers because they are not scientific, either, since there are no negative numbers I can observe in the natural world.

Marshall Received on Sat May 22 2004 - 05:35:57 CEST

Original text of this message