Re: VIEWS compared to Nodes as Windows into data

From: Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 22:45:43 -0300

        Oi vei... it's hard to get rid of an interesting OT.

Em Fri, 07 May 2004 00:42:44 +0100, Anthony W. Youngman escreveu:

> Actually, I got the impression that there were a couple of
> others... that makes three out of sixteen ...

        I think Alfred knows his country better than we do.

>>The norm is that most companies don't want to hear about Linux.

> Agreed :-( But again, it's beginning to look like "most" is in number
> terms. The few who are tend to be the medium-large boys here - one win in
> this sea is worth several hundred in the pool of small businesses.

        Yeah, but that's maybe in your area. Alfredo knows better his own situation.

        I do belive in open systems and free software. I just think yours are not the best arguments.

> Mebbe. Except that now it seems quite likely.

        It seemed before, like when IBM OS/2 was so much better than MS Windows up to at least NT, and when NeXTStep had an OO system so many years before MS Cairo -- whose promises were postponed to post-Longhorn.

> I don't know what the current deal between MS and Sun is likely to
> do. But the fact is, if current trends continue, Windows and Linux
> are going to collide, HARD, in the next 18 months or so. The latest
> figures I heard were that last year (2003), Linux had 25% of the
> server market, and was growing at 50% per annum (up from a 35%
> growth in 2002).

        It is hard to extrapolate from such data. This market still isn't mature, and MS shouldn't yet be discounted. They make a lousy OS, but only they have the secret interfaces to both hardware and software, and their developer tools are still surprisingly good. Perhaps that accounts for MS.Net popularity.

> Linux doesn't need to worry about the installed base, they can
> capture it later. But if linux gets its claws into the "new sale"
> market, then MS are in a fight for survival. And while an 800lb
> gorilla is an awesome foe, it's no match for a shoal of piranhas :-)

        Don't be too much of a fan boy. I still remember the OS/2 Team guys... they are probably hidden under their beds ashamed of getting out on the street by now.

--
Leandro Guimarães Faria Corsetti Dutra           +55 (11) 5685 2219
Av Sgto Geraldo Santana, 1100 6/71               +55 (11) 5686 9607