Re: Data Display & Modeling

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Thu, 6 May 2004 19:00:08 -0500

"mAsterdam" <mAsterdam_at_vrijdag.org> wrote in message news:409ac5d9$0$64453$e4fe514c_at_news.xs4all.nl...
> Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:
>
> > Let's say that someone likes to model data as functions [e.g.
> > PERSON(key)=tuple ], in non-1NF and in di-graphs (so you can navigate
your
> > way through it), with a target implementation in XML or PICK. I have
heard
> > people say that is a good way to "view" the data, but we need to model
it
> > using relational theory.
> >
> > Given:
> >
> > 1. that there is a good non-relational way to view the data, such as one
> > using di-graphs with functions on strings.
>
> Both you and Leandro ask of a model to represent all data.
> Leandro rejects models that don't, you
> asume they do when they don't.

So your point is that the relational model is just one such model and it is useful to use for some sets of data and not for others?

If I understand you correctly, what are the conditions under which the relational model yields a better bang for the buck solution for a company (that doesn't just mean cheap -- it includes data quality over time)?

Thanks. --dawn Received on Fri May 07 2004 - 02:00:08 CEST

Original text of this message