Re: Peter Chen and Charles Bachman

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 18:23:21 -0500

"Leandro Guimarăes Faria Corsetti Dutra" <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:pan.2004.05.05.23.08.13.556059_at_dutra.fastmail.fm...
> Em Wed, 05 May 2004 17:29:50 -0500, Dawn M. Wolthuis escreveu:
>
> >> Useless talk, since none of these gives you a data model as the RM
does.

> > If models are metaphors, can't a diagram provide such a metaphor?
>
> A database isn't a simple metaphor. It is a representation of
> a database.

So it's a complex metaphor.

> Speaking about metaphors will only confuse things now.

It seemed to be a word that would promote understanding in this discussion more than the word "model".

> >> Hey, go back to your textbooks. Relationships aren't defined in the
RM.

> > Well, the definition is often there, but it is incorrectly mapped to the
> > word "relation" instead. It is a relationship (in mathematics) that is
> > unordered, as someone else recently pointed out in the glossary
> > discussions.
>
> Hm, I see you don't want to learn, only to win the
> discussion... I won't play this game.

I'm very open to learning and have learned quite a bit from this list (thank you's all around), but I do have a bee-up-my-uh-dress related to the misuse of the term "relation" in the field of relational theory. So, I did take the opportunity in this case not just to learn, but also to teach. If that was ill-advised, I apologize and will return to my dunce cap. ;-) --dawn Received on Thu May 06 2004 - 01:23:21 CEST

Original text of this message