Re: VIEWS compared to Nodes as Windows into data

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 14:00:45 -0500

"Leandro Guimarăes Faria Corsetti Dutra" <leandro_at_dutra.fastmail.fm> wrote in message news:pan.2004.05.03.18.38.24.228547_at_dutra.fastmail.fm...
> Em Tue, 27 Apr 2004 11:02:09 -0500, Dawn M. Wolthuis escreveu:
>
> > Given a database application implemented in an RDBMS
>
> Are you working with Alphora Dataphor already, or do you really mean SQL?

I was figuring SQL, so you guessed right. Maybe we need to have three terms:

RDBMS = a product that a vendor says is an RDBMS RDBMS = a product that does not exist, but is a pure implementation of the relational model as seen through the eyes of the writer RDBMS = Dataphor

Can we come up wtih some notation for each of these meanings so that we know which one someone is talking about? Seems that we need the term "RDBMS" in our glossary?

How about RDBMS means "a product that the vendor calls an RDBMS" for starters -- if we could all agree on that, that might save some keystrokes, if nothing else. Cheers! --dawn Received on Mon May 03 2004 - 21:00:45 CEST

Original text of this message