Re: Date's First Great Blunder

From: Anthony W. Youngman <wol_at_thewolery.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 19:24:40 +0100

In message <w95ic.35937$Y%6.4701359_at_wards.force9.net>, Paul <paul_at_test.com> writes
>Not a perfect analogy but it may be that Pick is "good enough" for
>small
>projects that don't need the flexibilty and power of relational. But I
>still think (though can't prove) relational scales better and will work
>better in a larger "enterprise" setting.

An email today ...

A VAR ditched Pick as its back end, and ran a test config using Progress as their new back end at IBM's test labs. They were chuffed, running a heavy sim, to get THREE thousand users as a usable config.

Another VAR, in the same market, also on Pick, decided they had to benchmarket their system on the same config, so they went to the same IBM test lab, and set up on the same hardware. Even IBM were stunned when, after several hiccups (all solved within a day), they got TEN thousand users as a usable config.

I think Pick is scaleable ...

Oh - and you know about datamarts? I understand Ascential has some of the biggest production datamarts in the business "out there". Ascential is based on a Pick engine - the same as the one tested in IBM's labs.

Cheers
Wol.

as Lies-to-People.