Re: Relational vs. PICK/Object DBMS

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 19:52:38 -0500

"Paul" <paul_at_test.com> wrote in message news:YyYhc.32928$h44.4904911_at_stones.force9.net...
> Dawn M. Wolthuis wrote:
> > Let's take a problem statement with more than one way to address it.
> >
> > Prove that f(x) = x2 is a continuous function on the real numbers
> >
> > Now take two ways of approaching this -- with epsilon-delta proofs in
"real
> > analysis" and using infinitesimals in "non-standard analysis". It is
> > completely legit to ask folks using either approach to "solve this
problem"
> > (of proving continuity).
>
> Getting a bit OT here, but isn't the rigorous definition of what
> "continuity" means for a function on the reals couched in terms of
> epsilon-delta? So really you have to go down that route if you want to
> be sure logical errors won't creep in.

Sorry if it is OT -- it seemed to be exactly analogous to the type of problem statement here. Because continuity has a definition in each of these "theories" and they align with each other, it is a reasonable question.

My point was just that I would really like to address the question being asked, but the problem statement includes a relational solution, so we need to back it up a smidgeon. Thanks. --dawn Received on Fri Apr 23 2004 - 02:52:38 CEST

Original text of this message