Re: Pizza Example

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 16:24:13 -0500

"Anthony W. Youngman" <> wrote in message
> In message <>, Tony
> <> writes
> >> Yes, you CAN try to analyse and store that information, but you CANNOT
> >> do it in Science - entropy is a one-way-street. If you treat a database
> >> as an exercise in Pure Maths, I might agree with you, but as soon as
> >> drag the real world into it (and if you don't, what's the *point* of a
> >> database), you have to deal with entropy.
> >
> >Since nothing is lost by the decomposition process (by definition),
> >entropy is about as relevant as Schrodinger's Cat and all your other
> >pop-science book obsessions.
> Let's decompose the real world into its fundamental particles. Ooops ...
> we've suddenly lost cause-and-effect !
> There is a limit to lossless decomposition - quantum mechanics says so.
> Okay, a GUT or TOE might revise our opinion of this, but that's beyond
> current knowledge.

When working on database theory as it relates to PICK, I came up with "strings" as a critical component of the theory. So, now with string theory proposed as a Theory Of Everything in physics, I thought it was fun to have "string theory" as a TOE for database theory too. It was hard to find others to delight in this as I did at the time, however. smiles. --dawn Received on Thu Apr 22 2004 - 23:24:13 CEST

Original text of this message