Re: c.d.theory lexicon overview

From: Senny <sennomo_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Apr 2004 20:25:00 GMT

Alan wrote:

> Well you've made some excellent arguments- to the point of convincing me
> that you have the right idea. I guess the CS field has matured to the
> point where it needs to create its own specific terminology. Might as well
> do what the doctors, lawyers, and botanists did- use latin words :)

We can use anything, really: Latin, Greek, Swahili, Esperanto, whatever. I'm partial to words that can easily be adopted by others. (The languages I mentioned largely fit that criterion.)

I'm surprised at the lack of German in our current nomenclature. Only "eigenvalue" comes to mind.

> So, I offer this first expression. It is what should be said to testers
> upon delivering the first beta version for testing, or alternatively, at
> least in the comments:
>
> "Minutus cantorum, minutus ballorum, minutus corborata descendum
> pantorum."

Wow, that sentence is as corrupted as Legalese! There is almost nothing grammatically correct about it. But therein lies the fun.

The following sentence is what a programmer says after attending a meeting with the suits: "Veni, vidi, vomitavi."

--Senny Received on Thu Apr 22 2004 - 22:25:00 CEST

Original text of this message