Re: Relational URI (was: Re: Relational Calculus URIs?)

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 05:26:09 -0400

So, if there were such a thing as URI, what would it be? How about "Uniform Resource Identifier"?

The trouble with URL is that it's an address. Basically, a pointer. And when a resource moves from one "location" to another, all the pointers to the old location get left behind, and invalidated.

Worse, when a resource gets replaced by a different resource, with a different identity, but the same location, the pointer acts like it's still valid, although it actually should not be.

If we had URI's we could be begin to build the "world wide objects" instead of the "world wide web".

I'd better shut up before Dawn catches me writing this! Received on Wed Apr 21 2004 - 11:26:09 CEST

Original text of this message