Re: What happened to SQL/Temporal?

From: Jonathan Leffler <jleffler_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Apr 2004 05:18:09 GMT

Troels Arvin wrote:
> I've found various old documents on the web which state that SQL/Temporal
> AKA TSQL should be adopted as on official ISO/ANSI/...-standard "real
> soon" - but I can't find any trace of temporal SQL in SQL:2003.
>
> What happened to SQL/Temporal?

It died. There was sufficient controversy over its contents and insufficient interest from key vendors in implementing it that SQL/Temporal got frozen out of standardization. At one point it was going to be Part 7 (IIRC) of SQL-1999; now there ain't no Part 7.

For one part of the reasoning, see the book 'Temporal Data and the Relational Model' (TDRM) by C J Date, Hugh Darwen and N Lorentzos. For another part, see the paper 'An Overview and Analysis of TSQL2' by C J Date and Hugh Darwen, which is found at http://www.thethirdmanifesto.com.

Email: jleffler_at_earthlink.net, jleffler_at_us.ibm.com