Re: Normalization by Composing, not just Decomposing

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 15:41:17 -0500

OK, I'll call your analogy and raise the fact that I would not then have my software developers code directly in either of these -- binary or decimal. Is it the computer that needs to have the data normalized or the people who require that? My contention is that the people don't need it -- it does nothing for THEM. Now, I'm NOT talking about 2nd and 3rd normal forms (or even 5th for that matter) -- it is at least 1NF that is not needed by people (and what follows from that is removing 4NF too, I think). --dawn