Re: Pizza Example

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Fri, 9 Apr 2004 09:51:18 -0400

Way back in 1982, when I learned my first relational database system, the presentation always began with
"what are the services you expect from a DBMS". And the comparison was always between the new (at that time) relational product and the tried and true product based on CODASYL DBTG.

Twenty years later, it's a very different world. People create databases as casually as they used to create files, and with just as little thought. With a small investment, and a low level of mission criticality, a database just doesn't represent the same thing that it did twenty years ago.

And therefore axioms that I carry around, embedded so deep that I am no longer conscious of them, are not the same as your axioms. Just as you and I have a slightly different take on whether "pepperoni and onions" is the same as "onions and pepperoni" or not, so likewise, we have a different take on the TCO of building a low investment database. Received on Fri Apr 09 2004 - 08:51:18 CDT