Re: How is this collection called?

From: Jan Hidders <jan.hidders_at_REMOVETHIS.pandora.be>
Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 20:45:53 GMT

Laconic2 wrote:
> Well, nobody's ever done anything, to my knowledge, with Laws of Form in
> the world of IT in the last 34 years.
>
> I'm just expressing surprise that this should be the case.

I saw the following quote by Martin Gardner:

"I once planned a column about Spencer-Brown, but Donald Knuth talked me out of it on the grounds that it would give valuable publicity to a charlatan! But I have some paragraphs about Brown and his flawed four-color proof, and his Laws of Form, coming up in my Feb column. Conway once described the book as beautifully written but "content free." I describe it as a "construction of the propositional calculus in eccentric notation." But it has a big cult following, and even a periodical devoted to it."

Is there any reason why I should take that book seriously, at all?

  • Jan Hidders