Re: Primary Key Theory Question

From: ben brugman <>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 21:34:33 +0200

"Mike Sherrill" <> wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Apr 2004 15:47:47 +0200, "ben brugman" <>
> wrote:
> >By definition this can not be a candidate key and therefore
> >can't be a primairy key either.
> I never said it was. In fact, I said "There's no key".

You wrote in a previous mail :
In my experience, a surrogate key takes the place of a candidate key, and an artificial key isn't a key. An artificial key might uniquely identify a row, but it doesn't uniquely identify what the row represents.

This text containt the word KEY five times. My question did concern this text.
So my assumption was we were still talking about the same, I had not noticed the subject was changed. Sorry.

For the last example (the one not containing a key), then it can not be normalised an can not be stored in a normalised way in a relational database.

ben brugman