Re: What predicates the following relation represents

From: Dan <guntermannxxx_at_verizon.com>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 2004 09:44:22 GMT

It has been postulated that there is a difference between an external and internal predicate (see Date). We can also gather that multiple external predicates can be evaluated to be internally logically equivalent as a predicate, but the opposite does not hold true (much like the view update problem).

Given this, if you don't know either the wff of a virtual or the external predicate (the constant part of the intension) of the base relation, then trying to deduce the true total external predicate is the equivalent of either presenting an unsound, unprovable, or at least an invalid argument.

Asserting that because the extension of a relation does not conform to what one thinks the external predicate is is a both a fallacy or at the very least a false conclusion - assuming the designers followed some semblance of logic in design and that at least entity integrity is enforced by the DBMS.

This is what makes data integration so difficult. Semantics (and yes concepts in the eye of the beholder) do matter.

Regards,

  • Dan