Re: Object Class and Data Type

From: Laconic2 <laconic2_at_comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:33:31 -0500

Thanks for all the comments. I've reallypicked up a lot from this, even though there is no consensus.

Here's an interesting paper I found on the differences between object modeling and relational modeling, and how to integrate the two. This is quoted from . Foundations of Object-Relational Mapping, a paper by Mark L. Fussel.

I don't know enough to comment on the accuracy of Mr. Fussel's observations, but the paper reads well.

(quote)

Summary
Object models are different from other modeling techniques because they have merged the concept of variables and abstract data types into an abstract variable type: an object. Objects have identity, state, and behavior and object models are built out of systems of these objects. To make object modeling easier, there are concepts of type, inheritance, association, and possibly class. Although object modeling is only a small step from data type oriented programming, it produces a significantly different feel and structure for programs. Object modeling's focus on identity and behavior is completely different from the relational model's focus on information.
(end quote)

Note that type and class are different concepts in the above. Received on Wed Mar 31 2004 - 16:33:31 CEST

Original text of this message