Re: Object Class and Data Type

From: Tom Hester <$$tom_at_metadata.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 07:23:18 -0800

Of course you are right. The purpose of class and type are entirely different. A class hierarchy is intended to relate entities based on common behavior; however, a set of data types is intended to elaborate the differences between sets of values. So, for example, it is common for a class hierarchy to have a single root; often called object or entity. But data types rarely if ever inherit from a single basic data type. Furthermore, class itself is typically defined as an object with certain behaviors. On the other hand, one never sees data type, a base type, defined as a data type!