Re: Any new thoughts on OTLT (One True Lookup Table)

From: Jerry Gitomer <jgitomer_at_erols.com>
Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2004 23:30:54 -0500

On Sat, 27 Mar 2004 08:12:44 -0500, Laconic2 wrote:

>> Doesn't OTLT have to include a third column, 'class' perhaps, with
>> values 'state' and 'airline' respectively?
>>

> Yes, it does. And that's precisely the problem with putting the code "PA"
> in the same column twice, with two different meanings. Making use of the
> "class" column,
> requires a programmatic solution.
>
> We've taken a step away from self describing data.
>
> How does the new user of the data, whether person or automaton, "know"
> that you have to qualify the "code" column with the "class" column? Is that
> inherent in the two columns? Is it written in the metadata? No!
>

> Is it inherent in the underlying subject matter? No!
>
> The new user "just has to know" that that was the intent of the designer,
> and program accordingly. And that's what's wrong.

In the real world we have documentation that developers are expected to refer to before they start coding. The reason has to do with the fact that the system will probably still be in use long after the original developers have moved on. Received on Sun Mar 28 2004 - 06:30:54 CEST

Original text of this message