Re: Xquery might have some things right

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Mar 2004 09:31:07 -0800

"Eric Kaun" <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:Kt%2c.21999$Ao4.10506_at_newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...
> "Corey Brown" <corey_at_spectrumsoftware.net> wrote in message
> > Not to mention, I don't know of too many application
> > owners that are going to allow untrusted clients to have direct
> database access
> > to their systems.
>
> What do you mean by "direct database access"? The ability to submit
queries
> doesn't imply a need for "direct database access."

"Direct database access" is the opposite of "Access to the database through some middleware client application". Yes, direct database access means ability to execute queries, whereas middleware emasculates relational access to the server. There is some similarity between people who are scared of direct access to the database and people who are afraid of nuclear power. Their exaggerated feeling of danger is based upon ignorance. Received on Mon Mar 08 2004 - 18:31:07 CET

Original text of this message