Re: Multiple specification of constraints

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:03:14 -0600

"Tony" <andrewst_at_onetel.net.uk> wrote in message news:c0e3f26e.0403031339.5d77d873_at_posting.google.com... > "Eric Kaun" <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:<D3n1c.20847$rG4.14508_at_newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>...
> > "Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message
> > > "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote in message
> > actually
> > that
> > the
> > > >
> > > I agree they should be specified "centrally" but don't necessarily
agree
> > > with what you mean by that. If you mean that they should be specified
in
> > > way that is tightly coupled with database storage services, I
disagree.

> > Why is the storage even an issue? Surely we've abstracted above storage
by
> > now? A relational DBMS says what your data means - would you say that
the
> > Pick dictionary is "data storage"? The dicionary seems to be the
"meaning"
> > of your data, at least in a limited way. With relational languages like
D4,
> > you can say much, much more.

> > If people just think of a database as a way to write to disk, then I
guess
> > the conversation is fairly stymied already. Hmph.

> Well, when they refer to the DBMS as "CRUD services", I think we can
> see what kind of goggles they are wearing!

If you are referring to me at the "they" I'll clarify -- the DBMS is made up of at least data integrity services and CRUD services. I would never intentionally leave out the non-CRUD services of a DBMS (although I might for a "database") so my apologies if that was not clear. smiles --dawn Received on Wed Mar 03 2004 - 23:03:14 CET

Original text of this message