Re: object algebra

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 13:18:10 -0600

Spot on, Marshall!

We approach data modeling from different perspectives, but the null issue crosses most (if not all) models and the 2VL where NULL = Null Set resolves issues that arise, whatever the model.

While SQL would be hard-pressed to recover from its 3VL mistakes, I havenn't looked at the most promising of the next industry standards (such as XQuery) to see how NULLS are handled. Does anyone happen to know? If they "got it right" (from my perspective) and are applying a 2VL instead of a 3 or more VL, that should lead to better industry effectiveness in this one category (null handling), I hope.

--dawn