Re: object algebra

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 23:26:05 -0500

> > Since the type designer can implement the equality operation any way the
> > designer wants, why are the colors necessarily equal?
>
> Hmmm. Can the type designer really make equality anything he wants?
> That seems dangerous to me. Java has this mechanism, and it's error
> prone.

Yes, it is error prone and should only be done with the utmost care. However, I assume a type designer for a database has a certain level of competence.

> In a value-oriented world, where variables can only be assigned values
> and not other variables, I don't see the need for user-defined equality.

I do. How else can one properly model unknown? Or the equality of two polar coordinates at zero and 360 degrees? Received on Sun Feb 29 2004 - 05:26:05 CET

Original text of this message