Re: object algebra

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 27 Feb 2004 18:35:44 -0800

> In an earlier post you claimed that a parenthesized notation was superior
> to RDM, and gave an example: ((((ab)cd)e)f)(gh)

I think you misunderstood the context slightly. Eric asked "if I make some distinction between relational and RDM". I responded "RDM (data expressed as collections of tuples contrained by the header, etc) is less general than relational [ie ((((ab)cd)e)f)(gh)]". In the context of the response, "((((ab)cd)e)f)(gh)" was simply meant to be an example of relational algebra. There was no claim that it was superior to RDM in that sentence. The claim was that relational algebra is more general than RDM.

In context to what you thought I meant, for applications within the scope of RDM, things are easier to express in RDM. For things beyond the scope of RDM, relational algebra would be better (not that I could write that expression). Ex076 was designed to be at the edge of RDM's scope and within TDM's scope. Received on Sat Feb 28 2004 - 03:35:44 CET

Original text of this message