Re: Codd provided appropriate mathematics ... (was Re: Relational and MV (response to "foundations of relational theory"))

From: Mikito Harakiri <mikharakiri_at_iahu.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 14:19:33 -0800

Here is unorthodox view. I queried Mathworld for "Relation" and fidn't find any. Hence the conclusion: "There is no Relation in math!"
"Tom Hester" <$$tom_at_metadata.com> wrote in message news:308d6$403fbc8a$45033832$31596_at_msgid.meganewsservers.com...
No, the relational model is based on the notion of relation in symbolic logic.  The interpretation of a relation may be required to be 1st order function free, resulting in a 1NF model; but there is no requirement that relations be 1NF for a database to be relational; and there has been a great deal of relational database theory developed around non-1NF (that is non first order function free) models.   I simply gave a single reference to a single article.  There are many books...

This is supposed to be a theoretical news list but it seems to me that the relational bigots are incredibly ignorant of relational theory.