Re: Codd provided appropriate mathematics ... (was Re: Relational and MV (response to "foundations of relational theory"))

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 15:20:33 -0600

Your last statement, Eric, is really the point.  I think the original idea was that relational database theory was tied to mathematical relations.  It is now at the point where statements that are true of mathematical relations such as the fact that relations are ordered, are now considered "obviously" untrue in the database relational model.  Ah well, such is the nature of language.  --dawn
"Eric Kaun" <ekaun_at_yahoo.com> wrote in message news:L9O%b.18045$HM4.16491_at_newssvr31.news.prodigy.com...
Do you mean relational as in mathematics? The relational model for data is a specific application of mathematical relations. Are those examples you give below really relational in the sense of the relational data model? I doubt it. They might have something to do with mathematic relations, but that's a different thing entirely.
This is just plain false.  There have been many relational models proposed that are not 1NF.  See for example, ABITEBOUL, S.; BIDOIT, N. Non first normal form relations to represent hierarchically organized data. In: PODS, 1984. Proceedings. . .Note the date: 1984.  This is supposed to be a database theory board but it seems more religious than theoretical!