Re: Multiple specification of constraints

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 13:19:17 -0500

"ben brugman" <ben_at_niethier.nl> wrote in message news:403e2973$0$1416$4d4ebb8e_at_read.news.nl.uu.net...
> I agree with most that is allready replied.
> Constraints should be centralised. But the problem
> is often where and how.
>
> Constraints which can be enforced in the RDBMS system
> should be enforced there. (If the constraint is not to complex).

No such complex constraint exists.

> Then most applications (server or client) will enforce a constraint
> again, because the application does not like the exception handling
> when a constraint of the database goes 'off'.

If the application was written by a competent programmer, it likes it just fine.

> Then there are constraints which are more difficult or impossible
> to implement in the RDBMS, and although the constraints should
> be 'kept' centralised.

No such constraint exists. All you have to do to disprove my contention is demonstrate a single constraint in a well designed schema that contradicts my assertion. Received on Thu Feb 26 2004 - 19:19:17 CET

Original text of this message