Re: Multiple specification of constraints

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Thu, 26 Feb 2004 03:14:13 GMT

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:c1iq4p$6dp$1_at_news.netins.net...

> I'm just thinking out loud and I'm sure something I wrote was not brilliant,
> but help me out here -- isn't this a real issue in application software
> development written today? I'm suggesting something rather radical --
> decouple the constraint specification and validation logic from the
> database. Does anyone agree?

It is a real issue, but I don't agree with the direction you're taking.

I think the optimal solution here is to have the constraints specified declaratively and centrally, but to be able to *additionally* execute them remotely, i.e., on the client. That last part, on the client, is actually the least essential place for validation to occur; it's the only one that can be omitted. It's always essential to have it enforced centrally, on the server, because clients are typically not running on trusted computing bases.

Marshall Received on Thu Feb 26 2004 - 04:14:13 CET

Original text of this message