Re: Is nonlinear recursion allowed? Does it leverage index?

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.eye-be-em.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 12:58:11 -0500

Mikito Harakiri wrote:

> BTW, I'm comparing "connect by" and "recursive with". Is there a query that
> can be expressed in the one and cannot in the other?

Good question. I remember a thread in the Oracle newsgroup that concluded that the standard version was more powerful, but that was hardly based on a mathematical proof.
Also note that O10g has made changes to connect by.

There is one thing I can say with confidence: Rewriting one as the other is in general non trivial.

Things are getting interesting when you try to tease order and level information out of "recursive with".
Given that I never wrote anything using connect by I can't comment where connect by stumbles.

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau