Re: Codd provided appropriate mathematics ... (was Re: Relational and MV (response to "foundations of relational theory"))

From: Alfredo Novoa <alfredo_at_ncs.es>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:49:10 GMT

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 16:02:20 GMT, "Marshall Spight" <mspight_at_dnai.com> wrote:

>The general takeaway is that programmer productivity is quite similar
>across languages as measured in lines of code

I disagree. When I code in SQL or Tutorial D I produce much less lines of code than in Java or C# in the same time.

To write monster queries requires a lot of care, and it is exhausting, but you can provide more functionality than hundreds of low level code lines with a single query.

BTW updateable views are fundamental to ease the job.

>, but that amount
>accomplished per line of code varies with language.

Of course. To use the code size as a productivity measure is plain stupid and harmful.

>As a related aside, I observe that SQL is the COBOL of query languages;
>it spells everything out to an appalling degree. I can imagine other
>query languages that would be much more concise.

Agreed.

Regards
  Alfredo Received on Wed Feb 25 2004 - 17:49:10 CET

Original text of this message