Re: object algebra

From: Neo <neo55592_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 24 Feb 2004 13:42:22 -0800

> I would suggest reading Foundations of Future Database Systems (The Third
> Manifesto), as well as the 8th edition of Intro to DB Systems.

If The Third Manifesto is based on RDM, it inherits RDM's flaws. I would suggest reading Symbolic Logic by Susane Langer. It is the foundation for other foundations (except TDM :)

> You're confusing domains and types - a relation (or table) does not,
> and should not be "made to", correspond to an object class or a type.
> That's confused.

Please show a correct example of how to represent the class Person and instances John and Mary without using a relation (or table).

> As I've said before ("hear me know and believe me later"), the issue is not
> that databases aren't object-oriented enough. The issue is that languages
> are not relational enough.

A database is but a type of language. And yes RDM is not relational enough.

> Check out Alloy, a specification language,
> for a good example of how it should be done.

Sounds interesting, I will take a peek. Received on Tue Feb 24 2004 - 22:42:22 CET

Original text of this message