Re: Codd provided appropriate mathematics ... (was Re: Relational and MV (response to "foundations of relational theory"))

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 11:33:21 -0600

> > Here's the real rub: relations allow you to reason soundly, and in
> > arbitrarily complex ways, in terms of atomic propositions (which means
it
> > takes more work to develop them, due to the fact that you have to think
> > about what those propositions are!) That means your application can grow
> > "linearly" with respect to functionality and query complexity - hard
> > questions are hard, easy questions are easy. With a hierarchy, a single
> > brand of complex question is easy, and other things are murder; plus you
> > have to write those other things in baroque hierarchy-scanning
procedural
> > code.
>
> This is an excellent and eloquent statement about the problem with trees.
>
> Based on this and some previous posts, I hereby vote Eric Kaun as the
> best newcomer to comp.databases.theory. He's polite, too! We could
> use some more of that around here, ahem.

Good point, Marshall -- I have some disagreement with Eric's statement, but respect it as a concise statement related to putting data into 1NF; and I definitely appreciate Eric tackling the questions and issues rather than, well you know. cheers! --dawn Received on Sat Feb 21 2004 - 18:33:21 CET

Original text of this message