Re: Relational and multivalue databases

From: Marshall Spight <mspight_at_dnai.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:40:53 GMT

"Dawn M. Wolthuis" <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com> wrote in message news:c13ieq$27a$1_at_news.netins.net...

> Additionally, it is changes to the data that are very easy in PICK. If you
> need to change the cardinality of any field (column-ish) in any file
> (table-ish), you just do it. Sometimes nothing at all need changing to
> coorespond, but often an input screen needs a field attribute changed along
> with the field attribute in the file. Sure it would be better if these were
> in synch, and I'm sure some tools have that, but it is not standard in
> implementations. Anyway, if you have a report that asks for a person and
> their phone numbers when the phone number was single-valued (which it was in
> many systems in the 70's and 80's) and then you permit multiple values for
> the phone number, the report prints out the new phone numbers too, without
> any changes.

It strikes me that this paragraph describes features of Pick's GUI builder integration. Now, GUI builder integration is a good thing, but I don't believe it has anything to do with the qualities of the data model.

I think we should take care to separate our discussions of data models and application integration issues.

Marshall Received on Sat Feb 21 2004 - 17:40:53 CET

Original text of this message