Re: Difference between TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE and TYPE_SCROLL_SENSITIVE ResultSets

From: Ruud de Koter <ruud_dekoter_at_hp.com>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 07:36:59 GMT

Hi Jonck,

you wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> While working with the JDBC API (with MySQL as the DB being queried) I
> recently bumped into the terms TYPE_SCROLL_INSENSITIVE and
> TYPE_SCROLL_SENSITIVE ResultSets. The scrolling part is clear, you are
> allowed to move through the ResultSet in a dynamic fashion.
> The sensitive or insensitive part was not so clear to me however. What
> I read was that "... the ResultSet can change as a result of
> modifications to the database by others.".
> Does this mean that if:
> - user A queries row 1 in a table
> - while user A still has the ResultSet open user B comes along and
> makes a change in this same row 1, user A's ResultSet will change
> "live"??
>
> I tried experimenting with this a bit, but saw no such behavior.
> Therefore I am assuming that the difference between sensitive and
> insensitive ResultSets is something different.
>
> Could someone here explain to me what the difference is between the
> two and in which situations one is preferable over the other?
> Thanks very much, Jonck

No answer from me. Just the suggestion that comp.lang.java.databases might be a better forum for your question.

Happy hunting,

Ruud.

Ruud de Koter                    HP OpenView Software Business Unit
Senior Software Engineer         IT Service Management Operation
Telephone: +31 (20) 514 15 89    Van Diemenstraat 200
Telefax  : +31 (20) 514 15 90    PO Box 831
Telnet   : 547 - 1589            1000 AV  Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Email    : ruud_dekoter_at_hp.com

internet: http://www.openview.hp.com/products/servicedesk
intranet: http://ovweb.bbn.hp.com/itservicemanager