Re: insert different from union?

From: Bob Badour <bbadour_at_golden.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 13:23:59 -0500

"Paul Vernon" <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm> wrote in message news:bv67dp$1mhc$1_at_gazette.almaden.ibm.com...
> "Bob Badour" <bbadour_at_golden.net> wrote in message
> > "Paul Vernon" <paul.vernon_at_ukk.ibmm.comm> wrote in message
> [snip]
> > > Of course I could be wrong, and that some consistent method of
> identifying
> > > 'updated rows' would be usefull. But, it all just smacks of row level
> > > thinking in my opinion.
> >
> > It would nevertheless trigger an assignment trigger even if it does not
> > trigger an insert, update or delete trigger.

> > The question is: If we are to have an short-hand for a trigger condition
> > called update trigger, what is the condition?
>

> I suggest that it would have to take into consideration the candidate keys
> on the affected relvars.
>

> One consideration is whether we would want to enforce that number of old
> rows updated equals the number of new rows updated. E.g.
>

> If R equals { <SSN:1023, Name:"John", Age:65>, <SSN:2345, Name:"Jane",
> Age:55> }
> and has two candidate keys {a}, {b}
> and S equals { <SSN:2345, Name:"John", Age:60 }
>

> Then after
> R := S
>

> would we want to say that two rows *were* updated but only one row *has
> been* updated?

Triggers do not operate on 'rows'; although, I am sure some idiotic implementation or another does. Triggers operate on sets of tuples or rows.

Keys have nothing to do with an update trigger, because an update can alter all of the keys. Received on Tue Jan 27 2004 - 19:23:59 CET

Original text of this message