Re: Interested in a moderated theory forum?

From: Dawn M. Wolthuis <dwolt_at_tincat-group.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 12:20:42 -0600

> >> "Paul" <paul_at_not.a.chance.ie> wrote in message

> I have
> my

> > And to clarify something: I meant it as a comment on Bob's attitude,
> which
> > seems to me to amount to, "Don't talk, don't try to reason, just kill
> 'em
> > all. My cause is right and it's something they'd never understand
anyway."

> > It's an way of framing disagreements that is alive and well.
> If Bob wasn't here, would you still be interested in a moderated forum?

Good question. I posted a question to the new database theory forum that Marshall mentioned on www.galahtech.com and it might be a dumb question, but doesn't seem like one to me and if someone has an answer, I'm interested. If it is a non-sensical question, then I'm happy to have a logical arguement as to why that is.

Even though I think I'm mature enough to ignore someone calling me stupid regularly, it really does put a dent in one's day to be called stupid or an idiot. I suspect that someone's life could be adversely affected by having a constant barrage of "you are stupid" messages, whether or not it is a true statement.

This group drives out people who are honestly looking for answers to reasonable, rational questions related to database theory by calling them names. While I would think I could handle the name calling, right after one such message, I ended up on a site that had one of those "want to test your IQ quickly? click here" ads on it and for the first time ever, I took them up on it just to verify that the computer still thinks I'm a genius, even if Bob thinks I'm an idiot.

So, to answer your question, I suspect that if Bob would use logic instead of name-calling to counter arguments he considers invalid, I'd be less interested in moving to a different forum. But Bob was here well before me, so I figure I can go to questions with people with whom I have an established professional relationship for such discussions already or to another forum. Then when I feel I can handle the varied responses -- logical and otherwise -- I might try here again sometime.

Cheers! --dawn Received on Fri Jan 23 2004 - 19:20:42 CET

Original text of this message