baseball league db design

From: John O'Conner <jsoconner_at_earthlink.nospam.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 09:55:23 GMT

I've volunteered to create a db for a Little League Baseball league. My question is about designing the db tables...

Although I haven't finished my complete model, I've started to model the following:
ROLE

     RoleID
     Name
ADDRESS
     AddressID
     Address1
     Address2
     City
     State
     PostalCode
PARTICIPANT
     ParticpantID
     ???

I had planned to put everyone (coaches, mgrs, players, etc) in the PARTICIPANT table, distinguished by their various ROLES. Since every PARTICIPANT can have 1 or more ROLES, I had planned to store ROLES in a separate PARTICIPANT_ROLES table.

Now my question...what should PARTICIPANT contain? Obvious candidates are first/last names, an address id, phone, fax, and email addresses for contact information. However, the young players will eventually have much more information like position, birthdate, team assignment, number, maybe some other stats. It doesn't seem right to put those in the PARTICIPANT table since not all participants will use those fields. Now I'm thinking that maybe I need to treat players differently from other particpants...in a separate table perhaps.

Can anyone provide any advice on how I should design a db for a little league? Obviously I'm a little over my head with the design/schema.

Your help will be much appreciated. I'm no professional db mgr/admin obviously...just doing this to help out.

Best regards,
John O'Conner Received on Fri Jan 23 2004 - 10:55:23 CET

Original text of this message